Sunday, July 27, 2008

Amber Alert...

My inner child is lost. She was last seen getting her ass kicked by these two gangsta chicks:

What? They don't look so tough? Not even with the "Beware I'm allergic to Peanuts" sticker plastered on the little one?

Well, think again.

At the shore this weekend, my kids wanted me to go on the rides with them. When I said "no way" my nephew asked..."Aunt Deb, what happened to your inner child?" He's 9, by the way.

So, that got me thinking... There was a time when I'd go on the rides. Swim in the ocean (ok...those of you who know me know that I was never an ocean swimmer, but go with me on this one...) Or at least frolic in the sand a little. Fine, by frolic I mean not get all bent out of shape if some sand gets on any part of my body except my feet. But now I'm just tired. And I think... "Where IS my inner child?"

I continued to ponder this as I drove up to Rutgers University, my alma mater, to meet up with my other nephew, who is 18.

Ahh, the memories. I thought back to those days with such joy, such vivid memories. "It wasn't so long ago that I trolled these streets," I said. My nephew pointed out that lots has changed since "back then." After all, it was a "very long time ago." Almost 20 years.

Here he is visiting me at RU back in 1991... and now.



Holy crap!! Seriously?? Where did that time go? Seems like yesterday. I feel like I could still go to the Knight Club or Olde Queens Tavern and fit right in... that is, if those places still exist.

So, although my kids would like to meet my "inner child" on the "Music Express" on the OC boardwalk, I'm pretty happy that my "inner 22 year old" is still alive and kicking.

Meet me at Olde Queens. I'll kick your butt in a beer chugging contest.





No comments: